Patients who are at high risk for lung cancer can take advantage of a new program to screen and diagnose lung cancer before symptoms develop through use of a low-dose computed tomography (CT) scan. This screening program is now offered at Baylor Medical Center at McKinney.
According to the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death – more than breast, prostate, colon and pancreatic cancers combined. A study by the National Cancer Institute proved that screening people at high risk of lung cancer with low-dose CT scans reduced mortality from lung cancer by 20 percent. This study estimates that early detection and treatment of lung cancer could save more than 70,000 lives a year.
LUNG CANCER SCREENING
- Simple, low-dose CT scan of the lungs – once the patient is on the table, the scan takes less than 5 minutes
- Radiologist on the medical staff reviews the scan and looks for signs of nodules that might indicate cancer
CANDIDATES FOR THE SCREENING
For Medicare to cover this screening annually, patients should:
- Be 55-77 years old
- Have a smoking history of 30 pack years (ie: 1.5 packs/day x 20 smoking years = 30 pack years)
- Be a current smoker or stopped smoking within the last 15 years
- Have no symptoms
- The fee for a lung CT is $150 which will be filed on the patient’s insurance plan
- Fee does not include the radiologist interpretation
Physician referral is required for the screening test. For more information, please call 469-764-2400.
About Baylor Medical Center at McKinney
Baylor McKinney, part of Baylor Scott & White Health, is a 143-bed, fully-accredited not-for-profit hospital located in McKinney, Texas. The hospital opened in July 2012 and provides a broad spectrum of medical and health care services to the residents of McKinney and surrounding communities with personalized care and advanced technology on a beautiful campus with hotel-like amenities and all private rooms. Led by Hospital President Scott Peek, Baylor McKinney has more than 500 employees and a medical staff comprised of over 600 physicians representing nearly 33 specialties. Services at the facility include orthopedics, cardiovascular, neurosciences, oncology, surgical services, obstetrics and gynecology, urology, gastroenterology, pulmonary medicine, sleep disorders, pain management, diabetes management and more. The hospital is currently undergoing expansion add an additional 48 inpatient beds. For more information, or a physician referral, call toll free 1-800-4BAYLOR (422-9567) or log onto BaylorHealth.com/McKinney.