The MetroPCS® Dallas Marathon™ hosts the third annual Cooper Complete Elite High School Relay Challenge during the Dallas Marathon on Sunday, Dec. 9. The challenge pits a relay team of 16 of the Dallas area’s top high school distance runners against the world-class professional marathoners favored in the 26.2-mile race.
Katie Ruhala, a senior at Lovejoy High School, was selected to the 2012 Elite High School Relay Team. Ruhala is a returning team member from 2011 and has won state championships in cross-country and in the 1600-meter and 3200-meter. She plans to pursue a career in health and medicine.
For the relay team, only bragging rights are on the line. Male team members run two-mile legs and female team members complete one-mile segments. For more information tune into WFAA, Channel 8 at 8 a.m. on Sunday, Dec. 9 or visit dallasmarathon.com.
Here is the complete list of Dallas-area high school runners:
- Matt Brown, junior at St. Mark’s High School in Dallas
- Lili Clark, sophomore at Episcopal School of Dallas
- Ryan Duffy, senior at Greenhill School in Addison
- Zach Hamstra, junior at Flower Mound High School
- Hunter Hawkins, junior at Blooming Grove High School
- Lexie Hood, senior at The Hockaday School in Dallas
- Zach Kirkland, junior at Northwest High School in Justin
- Zach Polley, junior at Ovilla Christian School in Red Oak
- Laura Rathjen, junior at Highland Park High School
- Adam Rathjen, freshman at Highland Park High School
- Natalie Rathjen, junior at Highland Park High School
- Katie Ruhala, senior at Lovejoy High School in Lucas
- Cameron Villareal, senior at James Martin High School in Arlington
- Reese Walters, freshman at Shelton School in Dallas
- Wesley Ward, junior at Flower Mound High School
- Erin Wrozek, junior at Bishop Lynch High School in Dallas