This traditional Tuscan method will please your taste buds -- and make your family happy.
Ingredients (serves four):
- 4, 8oz. chicken breasts (boneless skinless or bone-in, skin on)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 T. chopped garlic
- ½ T. fresh rosemary (small chopped)
- 1 T. fresh sage (small chopped)
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 bricks (wrapped in clean heavy duty aluminum foil)
- Wood chips (un-soaked) (preferably Oak)
- 2 T. vegetable oil to coat cooking grates
- In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, sage, pepper flakes and lemon juice. Place chicken in a shallow dish or sealable plastic storage back and pour mixture over chicken. Coat chicken thoroughly and refrigerate for 1 -2 hours to marinate.
- Thirty (30) minutes prior to cooking, prepare a hot charcoal or gas grill.
- To cook, add oak wood chips (not soaked) to the gas grill (in a vented aluminum foil poach) or directly to coals. Oil the grill grates well with vegetable oil using tongs and a paper towel coated with the oil. Remove chicken from bag, season with kosher salt and pepper. Arrange chicken on the hot grates skin side down.
- Place 1 brick on top of each chicken breast. Grill the breast until cooked (4 to 6 minutes per side) rotating the breast 90 degrees after 2-3 minutes on each side to create an attractive cross-hatch pattern.