Sprawling 289 acres, the Heard Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary offers plenty to do and see including various indoor and outdoor exhibits, gardens, and over five miles of hiking trails that go through various habitats in the nature preserve.
This article features five must-do activities at the Heard, according to Stephanie Jennings, the sanctuary’s marketing and communications director. These are the topics that made the list:
1. Habitat: The Heard sanctuary features five habitats including Blackland prairie, wetlands, bottomland forest, upland forest, and white rock escarpment, according to its website.
2. Dinsours Live: Dinosaurs Live! is a seasonal and annual exhibit of life-size animatronic dinosaurs. Jennings says the exhibit features 11 dinosaurs along one of the nature trails, which makes the experience feel more realistic, compared to an indoor display.
3. Zipline: On prescheduled dates, guests ten and older can experience riding on a 487-foot zip line that goes through the sanctuary’s deciduous forest. Click here to see the upcoming zip line days.
4. The Heard also offers an array of educational programs with the goal of connecting kids with nature, according to its site.
5. Remember to go to Halloween next year: Jennings says Halloween at the Heard, one of their most popular events, made a comeback this year after being canceled in 2020 due to the pandemic.