The McKinney Boyd High School Bailadoras drill team stole the show at the Showtime DFW Christmas Classic held at Carrollton Creekview High School on Dec. 8. Under the direction of McKinney Boyd dance teacher Caris Dunn, the Bailadoras took home first place in just about every dance category imaginable and nabbed the title of Grand Champion Large High School Team.
“The girls begin preparing for contest in the summer and work throughout football season on advancing their skill level, so they can continue to compete at the highest level during competition season,” said Dunn.
“Drill team contest season begins in December and runs through the end of March. The Bailadoras have never before been prepared to compete this early in the season. This year, the team put forth the extra work necessary to compete in the Christmas Classic and that hard work paid off. I am so proud of them,” she said.
Below is a complete list of the team’s awards from the competition:
• Grand Champion Large High School Team
• 1st Place Large Team Hip-Hop
• 1st Place Large Team Lyrical
• 1st Place Large Team Pom
• 1st Place Large Team Novelty
• 1st Place Large Team Officer Prop
• 1st Place Large Team Officer Contemporary
• Champions Circle Award (officers)
• Applause Award (for outstanding team energy)
• 1st Place High School Duet
• 2nd Place High School Duet
• 1st Place High School (10-12 grades) Soloist
• 2nd Place High School (10-12 grades) Soloist
• 3rd Place Junior (7-9 grade) Soloist
The McKinney Boyd Bailadoras maintain a busy schedule each year, performing at pep rallies; varsity football games; select basketball and soccer games; community events and dance competitions.
The Bailadoras were honored by the McKinney City Council back in September. Click here to read that story. They also won a national title in an event in April in Galveston. Click here to read that story.
Visit the McKinney Boyd Bailadoras at boydbailadoras.com.
Visit the McKinney Independent School District at mckinneyisd.net.