The Pantry Restaurant in Historic Downtown McKinney is offering two cooking camps this summer for children ages 5 to 11.
Called "Read. Cook. Grow," the sessions are intended to encourage young minds to carefully read a story and prepare food based on that story, thus intensifying children's understanding of that story.
"This class will not only teach your child the joys and responsibilities of preparing food, but will also incorporate some of their favorite stories and crafts," organizers say. "This will allow their imagination and understanding associated with these stories to aid in their creation of something delicious.”
- Dates: Two separate camp sessions, June 11-15 and again July 16-20
- Time: 9:30 to 11: 30 a.m.
- Cost: $75 per week, plus a $20 supply fee (includes ingredients, bookmarks, recipe cards, aprons and a take-home plant)
- Location: The Pantry Restaurant, 214 E. Louisiana St. in downtown McKinney. (Pssst...parents, your campers will receive a free lunch.)
Participating children will also learn:
- Kitchen safety
- Basic food preparation
- Table setting and table manners