We’ve all experienced times in our lives when the support of others seem to be the saving grace that helped us survive. There are many practical ways to help and ease the load for a friend, colleague or family member going through a busy or difficult time:
- Cutting your neighbor’s grass during a hospital stay
- Showing up with a five-course meal after the birth of a baby
- Leaving an inspirational CD for a friend going through a divorce
Nothing demonstrates true support like a thoughtfully chosen gesture that is also helpful. So if you have a friend, neighbor or family member experiencing tough times or celebrating a joyful change in their lives, DIY it and create a one-of-a-kind gift that shines a ray of light on their day. The little box of sunshine above, for example, is inexpensive, fun and has a huge impact!
- A variety of yellow prepackaged goodies to fit the event *
- Yellow spray paint
- Shoe box, basket or large gift bag
- Brightly colored yellow tissue paper
- Postcard (customized by hand or via computer)
- Hot glue gun to secure items as needed
* In my box of sunshine I chose yellow-and-white striped aloe fluffy socks, vitamin water, Swedish Fish, lemon liquid hand soap, canary yellow nail polish, moisturizing hand and body lotion, lip balm, bottle of wine, pear-scented candle and brightly colored chevron thank you notes.
1. Spray paint the inside and outside of a shoe box in bright yellow.
2. Embellish to match the recipient’s personality.
3. Use the lid as a backdrop and secure your postcard to the inside so that it can be used as a decorative element and is visible once the contents are arranged.
Stack the products in the box by placing the labels in full view to show off the colors. I used tissue paper to help elevate the gifts to different heights.
About the author: Carolyn Kubes is a local freelance writer. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Facebook.