Camp Invention Inspires Local K-6 Students to Become Future Innovators
Camp Invention®, a nationally recognized, nonprofit summer enrichment camp program, is coming to the Mc Kinney-area.
Using hands-on activities, Camp Invention promotes science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) learning; builds confidence, leadership, perseverance, resourcefulness and problem-solving skills; and encourages entrepreneurship — in a fun and engaging environment.
These hands-on activities include:
* Innovation Force®: Campers team up with the Innovation Force (NIHF Inductees as superheroes) to battle the evil Plagiarizer, a supervillain who is out to steal the world's greatest ideas. As children create a device to retrieve the stolen ideas, they learn about the importance of intellectual property and the U.S. patent system.
* Deep Sea Mystery™: The children embark on a research adventure at sea to dig up fossils. Using lessons and advice from NIHF Inductees, they invent island-survival tools and underwater equipment.
* Farm Tech™: Campers are put in charge of managing their own farm as they learn the basics of running a business. With the assistance of the Bot-ANN-E robot, they learn fundamental coding techniques to maximize their time and profits. Children also are introduced to DNA syntheses, where they perform their own mock experiment to check the health of their newly purchased livestock.
* DIY Orbot™: The children will explore frequency, circuit boards, motors and gears as they use real tools to reverse engineer a remote-control robot. Throughout the week, campers will adapt their DIY Orbot to perform increasingly challenging tasks.
* Sloan Creek Intermediate School the week of June 10 - June 14, 2019. Regional program sponsors include the United States Patent and Trademark Office and Marconi.
* McKinney ISD - Site To Be Determined the week of June 10 - June 14, 2019. Regional program sponsors include the United States Patent and Trademark Office and Marconi.
For additional information or to find a camp near you, visit invent.org/camp.
Learn more about this year's all-new curriculum.
About Camp Invention:
Camp Invention is the only nationally recognized summer program focused on creativity, innovation, real-world problem solving and the spirit of invention. Through hands-on programming, Camp Invention encourages children entering kindergarten through sixth grade to explore science, technology, engineering and mathematics curriculum inspired by some of the world's greatest inventors. Since 1990, our education programs have served more than 1.5 million children, and 170,000 teachers and Leadership Interns.
- At Camp Invention, children team up with inventor superheroes to learn about the importance of intellectual property and the U.S. patent system.
- Throughout the Camp Invention week, campers adapt their remote-controlled DIY Orbots to perform increasingly challenging tasks.