Seven members of Girl Scouts Juniors Troop No. 3061 spent Wednesday morning shopping for toys to donate to the McKinney Young Professionals' second annual "Christmas In July" Toy Drive.
When they delivered the toys to the McKinney Chamber of Commerce office on Wednesday afternoon, their excitement and enthusiasm was evident as they filled a donation box to the brim with brand-new toys.
The "Christmas In July" Toy Drive continues through July 19 and will benefit Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Collin County, which advocates for abused and neglected children involved in the court system. CASA will give the donated items to the children in their care.
Girl Scouts Sophie, Erin, Grace, Libbey, Natalie, Hailey and Sidney told McKinney Magazine that the best part of donating the toys was both "Shopping!" and "We got to help people!"
The scouts, all fourth-graders, said they enjoyed being able to pick out special presents for girls and boys -- and that they spent time considering different gift ideas with the hope that the recipients would enjoy them. And, they said, they figured out that if they pooled their money (raised through Girl Scout Cookie sales), they could buy better presents.
The most unique find on their shopping trip? "Duct tape with games on it -- like hangman," the troop said.
The Girl Scouts said they bought the tape because they thought it would be fun to tear pieces of duct tape off and play games on it with friends. Other donations included Barbies, footballs, basketballs, art supplies and kid-friendly movies.
Troop Leader Jacqueline Lipe and Assistant Troop Leader Paula Heston said the troop had a lot of fun while doing something meaningful to benefit other children.
To take part in the toy drive to benefit CASA, McKinney Young Professionals (MYP) are accepting donations of new, unwrapped toys or gift cards through July 19.
Items needed include:
- Gift cards (Walmart, Target, JCPenney)
- Art supplies
- Baby toys
- Barbies and other dolls
- Footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, etc.
- Lego-brand toys
- Movies, DVDs
Drop-off locations include:
- Baylor Medical Center at McKinney – 5252 W. University Drive
- CASA of Collin County –101 E. Davis Street
- Chamber Office – 2150 S. Central Expressway, Suite 150
- Craig Ranch – 6850 TPC Drive, Suite 210
- Emerson Process Management Regulator Technologies – 310 E. University Drive
- Keller Williams McKinney – 6951 W. Virginia Parkway, Suite 100
- LegacyTexas Bank, Redbud location –1800 Redbud Blvd.
- Neiman Marcus Willow Bend – 6121 W. Park Blvd., Plano, TX
- Solutions Automotive – 1513 S. Tennessee Street, Suite 106
- Stonebridge Ranch Country Club – 7003 Beacon Hill Road
- LINKS Networking – Wednesday mornings at Saltgrass Steakhouse – 2801 Craig Drive
For more information about McKinney Young Professionals or the toy drive, please contact Denise Carroll at email@example.com or 972-542-0163.
About the author: Holly Becka is associate editor of McKinney Magazine.