Collin College Continuing Education students will have the option this fall to select from the following new computer, photography and video courses that provide skills for business, technical or creative careers.
These courses will be held at the Courtyard Center, located at 4800 Preston Park Blvd. in Plano.
- Drupal Website Development I – From 6:30-9:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, from Oct. 23-Nov. 8. Hours: 18. Course fee: $199. For more information, visit http://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/drupalI.html.
- Drupal Website Development II – From 6:30-9:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, from Nov. 27-Dec. 13. Hours: 18. Course fee: $199. For more information, visit http://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/drupalII.html.
Drupal is a free, open-source content management system (CMS) and content management framework (CMF) used as a backend system for Websites, ranging from blogs to corporate, political and government sites, including www.whitehouse.gov.
These two courses provide introductory and intermediate levels of skill development for using this versatile web development application.
- Test Driven Development in Java – From 6:30-9:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Oct. 24-Dec. 19. Course fee: $259. For more information visit: http://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/tdd.html.
- Test Driven Development (TDD) is a modern Agile software development technique. It creates a unique partnership between the requirements for a software system and the system itself. Created to support Agile’s evolutionary approach to design, it can also be used in Waterfall development.
Test Driven Development in Java, a 24-hour course, teaches students how to use JUnit to create tests before writing code, how to refactor existing code, how to apply principles of good design and how to avoid design “smells” in eight sessions. Students should have taken or have experience with Java Core.
- Introduction to Video Editing – From 6:30-9:30 p.m., Tuesdays and Thursdays, Nov. 27-Dec. 13. Course fee: $159. Hours: 18 (six sessions). For more information visit: http://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/videoediting.html.
Students new to video editing will use Adobe Premiere Elements to set up a project; capture and import video; edit, work with effects, transitions, and titles; and share a finished project.
In addition to the aforementioned courses, two new classes have been added to the In-A-Day category. In-A-Day courses are fast-paced classes designed to provide refresher training for busy professionals.
- Digital Photography Fundamentals In-A-Day – From 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 20. Course fee: $99. This is a hands-on class. Students must bring their personal digital camera and be prepared to become a better photographer in this eight-hour course.
- Microsoft Excel PivotTable Skills In-A-Day – From 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Friday, Nov. 16. Course fee: $99. Excel PivotTable is a useful, powerful feature of Microsoft Excel for summarizing, analyzing and presenting complex data. For example, sales data for salesperson, region and product-wise revenues can be quickly processed to show how products are performing in each region. This class builds on basic Excel skills to save time in creating professional looking reports.
For more information about these two courses, visit http://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/fasttrack.html For general CE information, contact John Byers, program director, at JByers@collin.edu or 972.985.3753.
To register for any of these courses visit www.collin.edu/ce/register or call 972-985-3711.
Collin College Continuing Education is the leading career skills training institution for adults who are not seeking a degree. More than 53 certificate series and certification preparation training programs are offered in the health care, computer, administrative, manufacturing, logistics, education, management, service and hospitality career fields.