Carter BloodCare’s journey began in 1951 when J.K. and Susie L. Wadley chartered the nonprofit Wadley Research Institute and Blood Bank. Separately, in 1957, the Amon G. Carter Foundation provided grant money to help charter the nonprofit Carter Blood Center to serve Fort Worth. In 1993, the Wadley organization changed its name to BloodCare of Dallas. Both community blood centers agreed they could provide better service to the DFW metropolitan area by merging. So, in 1998, BloodCare joined with Carter Blood Center to form the nonprofit, 501(c)(3) community blood center known today as Carter BloodCare.
In 2001, Carter BloodCare expanded into Central Texas following the invitation to provide service to Waco hospitals. In April of 2007, Carter BloodCare merged with Stewart Regional Blood Center in Tyler, furthering the reach into East Texas and creating one of the largest community blood centers.
Today, Carter BloodCare provides life-saving transfusion resources to more than 200 medical facilities in over 50 counties throughout North, Central, and East Texas. Each year, we provide more than 300,000 units of blood products to meet patients’ treatment requirements. Carter BloodCare’s services include collection, processing, specialized laboratory testing, storage and distribution of blood and blood components.