And it’s not too late to help fill the shelves at the food pantry!
“Let’s karaoke for cans,” someone said. And karaoke they did!
On November 15 at The Station in downtown McKinney, the Leadership McKinney (LM) Alumni Network, along with sponsors Utter Wealth Management Group of Wells Fargo Advisors and the McKinney Convention & Visitors Bureau, kicked off the annual food drive to benefit the Community Food Pantry of McKinney. Cans of food were collected. Raffle tickets were sold with proceeds going to the pantry. And bragging rights were taken seriously during the Leadership McKinney class karaoke competition. A big thank you goes out to our food and beverage vendors who donated to complete the evening: Bernard’s Gourmet Foods, Edible Arrangements, Marco’s Pizza, Market Street, Tom Thumb and Tupps Brewery.
Mayor George Fuller and his wife Maylee-Thomas Fuller got the music started, encouraging everyone present to step up to the challenge of helping to fill the shelves. And at the evening’s end, the Class of 2017 prevailed to win the golden microphone! But the big winner was the food pantry.
FOOD INSECURITY: the state of being without reliable access to a sufficient amount of affordable nutritious food.
- Food insecurity is experienced by 1 in 6 Americans.
- That includes 4.8 million Texans.
- Collin County has 16% food insecure people.
- 1 in 6 food-insecure households in North Texas is home to a veteran.
- And it affects 1 in every 4 children in North Texas – almost 300,000 children.
In 2017 the Community Food Pantry of McKinney provided food for 74,842 meals, which includes feeding nearly 3000 children.
YES. We have food-insecure households right here in McKinney.
The community can help reach the goal of 2000 cans of fruit. Here are two ways to help LM fill the shelves:
- LM Alums are collecting 15-oz. cans of fruit Nov. 30 – Dec. 13. You can drop your donations off at the McKinney Chamber office – 400 W. Virginia St., Ste. 100.
- If you have a business, you may want to participate in the Corporate Challenge. If you are interested, email Deb Fitzgerald – email@example.com.
Help us fill the shelves. Give today for our families in crisis.