PLANO (Dec. 18, 2015) — Senator Van Taylor was appointed by Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick to serve as the Vice Chairman of the Sunset Advisory Commission. The Sunset Commission works to shine a light on state government functions, eliminate obsolete and unnecessary programs, and improve governmental operations for the benefit of all Texans.
"Left unchecked, government will expand and metastasize beyond its original design, taxing everyday citizens as the regulatory burdens grow larger," stated Taylor. "The Sunset process in Texas is designed to keep that government creep in check. Placing our agencies under sunset review helps restrain the size, scope, and cost of state government within the bounds of our laws and the Constitution."
Senator Taylor continued, "I want to thank Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick for the trust and confidence placed in me to serve as Vice Chairman of this important effort. Working with my esteemed colleagues, I look forward to continuing Texas' time-honored tradition of thoroughly reviewing government agencies to ensure their effectiveness. Together we can reduce the footprint of state government and make it more accountable to the people."
Since its creation in 1977, the Sunset Commission has abolished 37 state agencies and programs, consolidated 46 bureaucracies, and saved Texas taxpayers nearly $1 billion. Texas' sunset process enables the Legislature to perform a top-down review of all state agencies and other governmental programs. This process enables the Legislature to make meaningful changes to state government by cutting waste, improving accountability and modernizing operations for a changing and growing Texas.
The Commission has five Senators, five Representatives, and two members of the public, appointed by the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House. The position of chair rotates between the House and the Senate every two years.
The Senate appointments to the Sunset Commission are:
- Senator Van Taylor, Vice Chair (R-Plano)
- Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen)
- Senator Robert Nichols (R-Jacksonville)
- Senator Charles Schwertner (R-Georgetown)
- Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin)
- Public Member – Former Congressman, Lieutenant Colonel Allen West, President and CEO of The National Center for Policy Analysis
Below is a list of agencies currently under review. A tentative schedule for the 2016/17 review cycle can be found here:
- Bar of Texas, State
- Central Colorado River Authority
- Chiropractic Examiners, Texas Board of
- Counselors, Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional
- Dental Examiners, State Board of
- Employees Retirement System of Texas, Board of Trustees of
- Law Examiners, Board of
- Marriage and Family Therapists, Texas State Board of Examiners of
- Medical Board, Texas
- Nursing, Texas Board of
- Occupational Therapy Examiners, Texas Board of
- Optometry Board, Texas
- Palo Duro River Authority of Texas
- Pharmacy, Texas State Board of
- Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners, Executive Council of
- Physical Therapy Examiners, Texas Board of
- Podiatric Medical Examiners, Texas State Board of
- Psychologists, Texas State Board of Examiners of
- Railroad Commission of Texas
- Social Worker Examiners, Texas State Board of
- Sulphur River Basin Authority
- Transportation, Texas Department of
- Upper Colorado River Authority
- Veterinary Medical Examiners, State Board of