McKinney resident Ken Paxton won his race to become Texas’ new attorney general during Tuesday’s election (Nov. 4, 2014).

Republican Paxton won 59 percent of the vote statewide and 66 percent in Collin County. Democrat Sam Houston had 38 percent and 31 percent, respectively. Statewide, Paxton received more than 2.7 million votes.

McKinney Online - Ken Paxton mug shot

Ken Paxton

McKinney Online - Sam Johnson mug shot

Sam Johnson

Another race involving McKinney and Collin County was U.S. Representative District 3, where longtime Republican office-holder Sam Johnson was re-elected again, gaining 82 percent of the vote. His opponent, Paul Blair, a Green Party candidate, received the remaining 18 percent. A total of 137,485 votes were cast for this race. Johnson has held that seat since 1991.

Statewide, U.S. Senator John Cornyn won his election bid, 62 percent to 34 percent for Democratic challenger David Alameel. Cornyn received 68 percent of the vote in Collin County.

For the first time since 2000, Texas has a new governor as Republican Greg Abbott beat Democrat Wendy Davis, 59 percent to 39 percent. In Collin County, Abbott received 66 percent of the vote.

The lieutenant governor’s race was won by the Republican Dan Patrick, beating Democrat Leticia Van de Putte, 58 percent to 39 percent. Patrick won 65 percent of the vote in Collin County.

The one statewide proposition, Prop 1 for state transportation funding, won by a margin of 80 percent to 20 percent of the nearly 4 million votes cast. In Collin County, Prop 1 received 93 percent of the vote.

State Senate races involving Collin County were won by Van Taylor (Republican, District 8, Paxton’s old seat) and Craig Estes (R-30). State House races involving Collin County were won by Scott Turner (R-33), Matt Shaheen (R-66), Jeff Leach (R-67), Scott Sanford (R-70) and Jodie Laubenberg (R-89). Turner, Shaheen and Sanford were all running unopposed in the general election.

Click here for election results from Collin County ballots. Click here for state-wide election results from the Office of the Secretary of State.