Sprinkler system limited damage from fire fueled by rubbing alcohol

McKINNEY, Texas (June 20, 2018) – Today, the McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to reports of a kitchen fire at 2000 Skyline Dr. The fire was caused by rubbing alcohol being mishandled. The resulting flash fire set off the fire sprinkler system.

One person suffered first-degree burns on the arm and was examined by McKinney EMS, before choosing to personally drive to the emergency room.

“Rubbing alcohol is a very common household item. But it contains isopropyl alcohol, which has fumes that are very flammable,” said McKinney Fire Marshal Mike Smith. “It needs to be properly stored away from other chemicals.”

More safety information can be located at www.mckinneyfire.org or www.nfpa.org.