Innovate McKinney, a competition seeking entrepreneurs or small businesses with a new and innovative idea for a product or service, has selected its top five finalists. A panel of judges looked at each of the applications submitted and after extensively scoring each, have chosen the following applicants to move on in the competition:
- Balanced Media Technology, Video Game/Data Science that teaches gamers about the human body and uses data science to solve medical research challenges
- Divergent Innovation, Cellphone safety Mobile App for parents that allows them to monitor their children’s’ online activity
- Healthbloks, Online Patient Healthcare Portal that allows the patient to simplify interactions with physicians
- Learnatronics, Circuit board/Electronic Training Package for high school teachers with hands-on materials that provide a true introduction to electronics
- Peeyr, Tutoring Online Marketplace for students and tutors that makes finding the right tutor at the right price easier.
Cindy Johnson, Development Director of The WERX Foundation, stated “The mission of The WERX Foundation is to build, grow and support small business in McKinney and we feel that this competition is right in line with that mission. We were bowled over by the 21 innovative entries we received and the first round judges worked hard to determine the top five finalists. We are excited by the diversity and potential of our five finalists in this first year of the competition!”
These five finalists will present at an Innovate McKinney Grand Finale in the Historic McKinney Cotton Mill on Tuesday, June 28 at 5:30 p.m. The Finale will include a Small Business Expo with music, beer, wine and appetizers. Judges will attend the finalists’ presentations and select the top three winners to be announced that evening.
The competition, hosted by the McKinney Chamber of Commerce and The WERX Foundation, was a collaboration born in the hopes of finding new businesses to be the future of McKinney. Thanks to the competition sponsors, First United Bank and Encore Wire Corporation, generous cash prizes and in-kind products and services will be awarded to each of the top three winners.
Check back here (innovatemckinney.launchgen.com/event-calendar/innovate-mckinney-business-expo-and-finale) for more information on the Innovate McKinney Business Expo and Finale. Tickets are $15 in advance and are available at mckinneywerx.com. Click here to order tickets.